Thursday, August 5, 2010

Hellmann's Blue Ribbon.

Whilst making my packed lunch last night (I have been making home-cooked packed lunches for the past 3 months now and I'm loving' them!), I noticed a lovely white bow atop the Hellmann's mayonnaise jar lid.

Being a bow lover, I immediately snapped photos and read up on the meaning of the bow in Hellmann's brand history. Apart from the origins of mayonnaise, I learnt that back in the early 1900s, German immigrant Richard Hellmann was selling two versions of his wife's home-made mayonnaise in his delicatessen in New York City. To distinguish between the two versions, he tied a blue ribbon around one of them. When the "ribbon" version became the hot selling mayonnaise in 1912, Hellmann created the "Blue Ribbon" label, for use on larger glass jars.

And that was the fascinating fact of the day!


No comments: