Monday, September 6, 2010

I am a Friend of Laphroaig.

Last Friday 3 Sept, I met Mr Robert Hicks who is the Master Blender at the Laphroaig Distillery in Islay, Scotland. The Laphroaig is my favourite single malt whisky. I started enjoying it at age 18 when I was living in the UK and was bored of my weekly ironing sessions so I bought a bottle to make them more fun!

I have tried some of their other ones (such as the special edition "Cairdeas" and the "Quarter Cask" created by Mr Hicks himself!) but I still love the 10 year old the best because of its strong peaty, smoky flavour. I call it my "alcoholic oolong tea".

During the whisky tasting, Mr Hicks mentioned that Friends of Laphroaig get their special "FOL" green tie. Being a fashion designer, I was really looking forward to getting one for myself at the end of the evening! It turned out that I'd made a mistake - he meant you'd get one if you joined FOL online - but the lovely man took off the tie he was personally wearing and handed it to me with a smile. I was quite embarrassed about taking his tie but accepted it after he insisted that it was alright!

There's something old school and traditional about the centrally positioned embroidered logo and the dark shade of teal that makes me LOVE the tie!

Thank you Mr Hicks! :-)






2 comments:

Manish said...

Hi Jo,

I echo with you that 10 years is really something..I have other single malts but somehow I am kind stick to Laphroaig.

I hope you must be a FOL member now.

Jo Soh said...

Hi Manish,
Yes I am definitely a FOL member!
:-)
Jo