Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 1 at Kampung Paya Mengkuang: Welcome ceremony, Design & Fabric Shopping.

Friday 4 March 2011: Day 1 at the kampung.

The villagers put up a welcome ceremony with a traditional dance.

I am adorned with their traditional headdress and sash woven from the leaves of the mengkuang plant (also the name of the kampung).

These are more examples of their traditional woven pieces.

After the welcome ceremony, I introduce myself to my 6 pupils, give them the 101 on the different types of shirt/blouse designs available on the market, and get them to draw their designs on the spot.


The Channel News Asia crew filming each pupil with her design.

The film crew and I wait for our ride after shopping for fabrics with the 6 ladies in the nearby town Temerloh.

No comments: