Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Amangalla at night.

The verandah transformed into a cosy space at night - the perfect spot to pretend you're still in the romantic colonial days.

The main hall.
I liked the use of large bunches of bananas and coconuts placed atop dark wooden chests of drawers as display - unusual, modern yet down-to-earth.

The stairs that took me up to our room on the third and highest floor, and the corridor leading off to more rooms on the ground floor.

The schnazzy bar corner with its lil' stereo that pumped out big bang tunes.

Another view of the hall, looking toward the dining area.

I was constantly taking notes to record as much detail as I could, for my review.

Flipping through the guest book, I came across some drawings done by previous guests.

An elegant little sitting area.

Our butler in his pristine white attire consisting of a tunic-style shirt and sarong.

Traditional Sri Lankan rice and curry is fascinating - the curry is but one small dish amongst a plethora of dishes, from vegetables to sambals to pickles.

Polished silver cigar holder and ash tray. That cigar's not mine as I do not smoke. It belonged to Mr Smith. ;-)

Our room at nigh. I bought that boat miniature off an old man on the beach. It's a replica of a traditional Sri Lankan fishing boat. I LOVE boats and sailing. :- )

Again, another shot of the room at night. Pretty nice, eh?

In our room, I was flipping through this book of old drawings and paintings of Sri Lanka's flora and fauna...

And found these paintings fascinating because they were drawn by the artist while he was sitting in one of these....

:-)

No comments: