Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Amangalla, Galle, Sri Lanka.

Some months ago, I was very lucky to be given the opportunity to anonymously review the amazing Amangalla hotel in Galle, Sri Lanka, for Mr & Mrs Smith. Here are my snaps ( I must have taken literally hundreds of photos.). . .

The shaded front verandah where we had our meals.

My favourite breakfast of ruhuna (buffalo milk yoghurt) and palm sugar syrup! Yum!

I love how the local newspaper is called The Island - very apt!

One of my childhood favourites - putu mayam - small pancakes made from rice vermicelli. I used to consume lots of these with dessicated coconut and brown sugar. Mmm...

My eye notices that my denim skirt matches the blue tiles on the verandah floor...

Newly weds in traditional wedding clothes pose for photos in the park in front of the Amangalla.

The tranquil pool in the hotel grounds.

A hotel staff member in a refreshing white saree with a navy striped border.

The Amangalla used to be the New Oriental Hotel - in the library, artifacts from the old hotel sit alongside design books and magazines.

Absolutely elegant old fashioned navy umbrellas line up on the umbrella rack.

I couldn't resist a pose.

Marvel at the detail.
The Balcony right outside my hotel room overlooks...

THIS breath-taking view.

The room has a dining/study area with large windows.

Local Sri Lankan magoes all ripe and ready on a side table.

Back to elegant basics - Amangalla's note papers come inside a silver box next to a jar of sharpened pencils.

MORE photos in my next post!

No comments: