Thursday, December 15, 2011

Last day in the village.

While the ladies were busy finishing up the last bits of weaving...

I took some pictures of the interesting things that were stuck on the wall of the mini-hall...
A simple map of the village.
Each arrowhead represents a house. You can see a football field at the top of the map (that's actually the far end of the village) and a big road at the bottom of the map (that's the highway).

I also saw some curious signs...



I made this sweet little girl a pair of dangly earrings with tiny dried leaf rosettes and then we were BFF! :-)

She can play and sing a little with the guitar.

And together with her friend, she's quite a cheeky little monkey!


As a group, the weavers made a box with a lid, a hat, a clutch bag, a brooch and 30 bangles. I decided to bring the 30 bangles back to Singapore to sell on their behalf in my shop. I'm putting them on display in my shop tomorrow morning!

This is how the bangles look just before the excess ends are trimmed off. Quite avant-garde!


The only male weaver amongst the group, this "Uncle" (that's how we addressed him) sits with the bamboo bangle that he'd woven entirely by hand.

As I watch him being interviewed for the Channel News Asia programme. . .

I notice that the sticker indicating the lens degree was still on his glasses!

The talented Nor Ek strikes a pose with her woven hat for my camera before being called upon to pose for the Channel News Asia camera...

Here she is with the clutch bag that she made too. The bag prototype still needed a bit of work and we felt it was not ready to be sold in the shop yet, so along with the lidded box, we later passed them to Xixili in KL for them to consider the possibilities of working with the village weavers. I had proposed to Xixili that perhaps they could work with the weavers to develop gift boxes (or other products) which Xixili could buy from the weavers on a long term basis, thus providing them with a viable source of income. I hope it comes through!

One by one, the rest of the women weavers posed for the camera too...




No comments: