Thursday, December 8, 2011

Kampung Paya Mengkuang Part 2.

WOW what an adventure!

I have just returned from spending 5 days in KL and Pahang in Malaysia. In the state of Pahang, I spent my days working with women weavers from a small Orang Asli village called Kampung Paya Mengkuang. For those who have been following my blog, you'd know that I was there about 10 months ago this year for the filming of the first "Once Upon A Village" programme. I have plenty of photos from the trip so let me begin...

This is our cheeky driver, Shankar, who drove us all over the place! This was our pit stop at a McDonald's for a quick breakfast on our way from the KL airport to the village.

This is our ingenious sound man's device for taking a snooze during our long journeys on the road. All you need is a hoodie, a hip pouch and a small pillow.

One our first day in the village, we worked in a multi-purpose hall located near the entrance to the village...

...that had some cheery lights strung by the windows...

...and a quirky patchwork floor pattern formed by the use of various different patterned mats and vinyl coverings...

...and a minimally furnished interior...

The village children kept Shankar busy while the women worked on the weaving in the far corner. Our first day was to take a look at what they'd managed to make from the photos of woven products that I had sent before our arrival. The lady in the yellow top is Joanne from Xixili, the lingerie company that my protege from the first episode has now found a job with. More about Xixili's role in this project in my later posts.

This elderly gentleman works with woven bamboo products. (He is apparently also the village's "witch doctor"!) That's a handmade sieve.

This sweet boy wove an little straw ring for me...

Awwww!!!

Once I saw what they'd made so far, I set some clear directions for the women to achieve. They then set about to make some improvements and amendments.

Rohayu working hard on the hat.

:-)

No comments: