Friday, February 17, 2012

Spring/Summer 2012 research.

Time to share my experiences in preparing our Spring/Summer 2012 collection. I was introduced to the Singapore National Heritage Board's Heritage Industry Incentive Programme (HI2P) 
and LOVED the idea of taking a local heritage theme and using it in a modern, contemporary context. 

So what did I do? I popped down to my local kopitiam (coffee shop) to have a poke around the snacks stall and spotted my ol' childhood favourite - the rainbow-coloured Peranakan Kueh Lapis

Meaning "layered cake" in Malay, this well-loved Singaporean teatime treat is also often known as the "nine layered cake" in Mandarin for its nine distinctively coloured layers.

One of the all-time favourite ways to enjoy this piece of happiness-inducing starchy sweetness is to peel off each coloured layer by layer...


Can you believe that's food? Looks pretty weird and cool at the same time! 
Those were also probably the same reasons why I loved this little cake - so much fun just looking at it and going through the process of eating it!

 You could even ROLL them back layer by layer...

 I also looked at the Onde-onde - another yummy sweet snack found in Peranakan kuehs (cakes).



I decided in the end that this could be more for an Autumn/Winter collection theme as they resembled snowballs (kind of) but oh, it was yummy!!!

In the end, I saw that the rainbow-coloured Peranakan Kueh Lapis had the potential to be translated into super duper happy fabric print designs (so perfect for a Spring/Summer collection!) and so chose that  as my motif for the season. I developed the motif into print designs and a range of clothes with layered details and aptly named the collection, "Tiers of Joy" :-)

More on the new collection in posts to come!

No comments: