Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion, Georgetown, Penang.

This alluring blue house is the famous Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion in Penang. I knew that they ran daily tours within this heritage home and had arrived just as the  guide was starting a tour. I hurried in to try and catch up on what the guide was saying.


The front living room as you enter the house...

This I thought was the most beautiful part of the house - the central open-air courtyard with intricate gold leaf covered screens that marked the front part of the house.

And this shot below was my last shot inside the mansion. I had been snapping pics without realizing that photography wasn't allowed within the house! No reasons were given why and a male assistant following the group enforced it like he was actually enjoying the authority to tell people off!

Overall I enjoyed the tour, the mansion was beautiful, full of unique features and had such a colourful and intriguing history. My one criticism was that though very knowledgable and well spoken, the Penangnite guide's pride for her hometown bordered on arrogance when she openly slammed another heritage town in Malaysia. Now was that really necessary?

Well, I guess there will always be rivalling towns. Hope you get the chance to visit! :)

No comments: