Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Spring/Summer 2013 "Sync or Swim"

HELLO!!!! 

It's been a month since I have posted anything. I have been working like a CRAZY woman!!! We have just released our Spring/Summer 2013 collection into the shops so it's time to tell you all about it.

It's all about synchronised swimmers. I have ALWAYS admired their strength and skill and have always tried to imagine myself doing what they do. My Danish friend once showed me a basic synchro move in the pool (which I found almost impossible to execute!) and told me that they were taught the basics in school as part of the school curriculum! HOW cool is that? I am so fascinated by synchronised swimmers that I have a book on their moves that I bought from a second hand bookstore.

I LOVE these illustrations! This move looks particularly fun!

Look at all those floating patterns! ENDLESS possibilities!

In true hansel style, I chose the retro-style form of synchronised swimming from the 1950s where stars like Esther Williams reigned supreme. (During my research online, I also learnt of the Aqualilies who are based in LA and whose work I have been following since on Facebook.) Those retro-style floral swimcaps are fun, silly and elegant at the same time - I love them! :) As usual, I start off with some hand drawings. I don't have sophisticated equipment like a light box - I tape my sketches on my window and tape another sheet of paper over it and trace, trace, trace!


I usually do through a few different drawings before I settle on the ones that I think would work well for a fabric print.

Then I get on Photoshop and do sooooo many variations of fabric print patterns that I lose count.

This is usually what my board looks like when I'm working on a fabric print design.

No comments: