Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Prepping for hansel's SS13 Sync Or Swim campaign shoot.

My art director cousin Ginny and I would generate the initial concept for each campaign shoot then discuss further with the photographer Chase. The contributions from all three parties never fail to bring the photoshoot to unexpected levels. We always start off with some research and ideas...

Then I would sketch out what the backdrop and props might look like...

Once we are all clear on the concept, I move into the photostudio a day before the photoshoot and kick start the creation of the backdrop and props with my design assistant and interns. For our SS13 shoot, the first thing I got started on was the swimming pool backdrop. I penciled in the size and position of the swimming pool tiles and started painting the lines in with blue acrylic paint and a narrow brush. 
 

I painted it all across the bottom edge of the backdrop paper. 

Then came the green bushes that grow along the garden pool.


Next came the props. We recycled the cardboard props from our previous AW12 photoshoot. We are always recycling and reusing things. (My cousin Ginny nicknamed me the "Budget Queen" for this reason!) 


We figured the campaign model, Denise Keller, would need a stiff drink to get through our shoot.

The finished props all laid out ready for the photoshoot the next day! :)

The BIGGEST prop I had to make was the retro-style pool-side table with a striped umbrella. I had to lay a large sheet of paper flat on the floor, mark the height of the model on the paper to make sure that the umbrella was the right height, then started drawing and painting.



I had ordered some retro-style swimcaps from a US-based online shop but discovered last minute that the order was cancelled due to some authorization issue with my credit card payment! My design assistant scrambled to buy plain fabric swimcaps from Daiso for $2 each and bunches of fabric flowers then she and our intern sewed each flower on by hand onto each swimcap. Each floral swimcap ended up taking 5 hours to make but the results were beautiful!  


I had also stuck print-outs of various pin-up girl style poses all over a door so that we could easily refer to them for ideas.

Here's a snap of our SS13 campaign girl Denise Keller and I after the photoshoot. Denise worked fast and nailed each shot LIKE THAT.

I couldn't resist taking this shot. :)

No comments: